Sunday, May 27, 2018

Is AI taking over us?

Remember the title of this blog next time you say "ok google" or "hey siri" to your phone (or iPhone!). For those who didn't get the word 'AI' here, it stands for artificial intelligence and this creepy yet useful concept is gradually taking over the lives of all the smartphone users (no one left out I hope?). For those who find opening wikipedia a huge task out of laziness, here is the definition : Artificial intelligence (AI, also machine intelligenceMI) is intelligence demonstrated by machines, in contrast to the natural intelligence (NI) displayed by humans and other animals. In computer science AI research is defined as the study of "intelligent agents": any device that perceives its environment and takes actions that maximize its chance of successfully achieving its goals.
Of course everyone of us remembers Jarvis(don't we?) and if not jarvis, 'Courage the Cowardly dog'is too hard to forget. (Cartoon Network ..eh?).

Coming to the point, is AI really taking over us?, is it good or bad? and why should we care about it? ......I will try to answer the above questions in this blog.


Types of AI

Broadly speaking there are 4 major types of AI currently active in the world: Reactive machines, Limited memory,Theory of mind, and Self awareness. Since this is not a tech blog I am not going to elaborate each one, however if you still want to get your hands on some information you can do that here

Some examples to remind you that you're surrounded by AI if you use a smartphone :

  1. Google Assistant  (all android users) 
  2. Siri (time to regret spending $999 👍) 
  3. Cortana by Microsoft (Ok, not that popular !)
  4. Bixby by Samsung 
  5. Alexa by Amazon (welcome the new kid !)

Is it really taking control?

Frankly speaking, my answer would be "yes" and that too in a lot more ways anybody might have thought of. Now , pay attention as here I am talking a bit more 'globally' as India in terms of AI research is quite far behind other countries. In fact, according to Analytics India Magazine when it comes to R&D, Chinese govt. spends 2% of it's GDP in research while we spend a meagre 0.6% compared to the size of our economy. 
Since many of you would argue the opposite and some of you might even underestimate the power of what AI can do , below here I'm giving out a small clip from the latest Google I/O 2018 : 
Now for some of you (who don't like to keep themselves updated with tech innovations) might have been left out in awe...wondering where technology has reached. This is not the only thing happening around...search the web and you'll find yourself trapped by AI and some people do agree to my point here (Hi Elon Musk !). 
So wrapping it up , I would say that AI could very easily control and prove to be a real threat if  gone under wrong hands but it's still too early to come to a concrete decision. Do tell me what you guys think. down in the comments :)

Why should I care about it?

                         That's the most apt question you should be asking right now. Point is that we may not realise immediately that we are being very slowly being engulfed into the influence of artificial intelligence. With loads of advantages ranging from waking you up to booking your hotel room, these bots don't let you think 'bad' about'em and that's how companies take advantage of human nature. Even small kids at the age of 8 are being involved with these bots which can't be stated as something wrong but there's nothing like spending your childhood in the fields instead of talking to these bots.
                        The debate on weather AI is good or bad is endless with everyone stating their own point of view regardless of the fact that one day we might end up talking to these bots instead of real people. My suggestion would be 'proceed with caution' . Try asking yourself  at the end of the day, "With whom did I spend my more time today, real people or with Siri?" . Most of you might get a very positive answer for some years since AI still hasn't spread to it's maximum potential....but in the near future you'll surely start getting your answer as 'Siri'

*I am not biased with any company regarding AI. I find Google Assistant as good as Alexa or Siri or any other of these machines cum humans*


That's it for this one ...please make sure to leave your comments below and don't forget to follow and share ! :)

                                            

42 comments:

  1. It is a little creepy when you think about it. I think it is good for the most part, but I don't like it if people listen in, which is what is happening with Alexa apparently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are absolutely right on that point and yeah creepy it sure is ! :)

      Delete
  2. My boyfriend and I were JUST talking about this. He has an Alexa and she really was listening to our conversation. It really is taking over sadly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I honestly think Siri has an attitude with my brother. He gets really impatient with her, and I think she feeds him wrong or irrelevant information on purpose. All kidding aside, what do you think the odds are that AI devices will become sentient?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jean,your question is quite apt and as far as Siri is concerned all it's responses are based on internet searches and currently no one can guarantee accurate response everytime from any virtual assistant but in the coming future all odds would be in favour of these devices becoming sentient as R&D in AI has become a rat race among companies

      Delete
  4. I can't bring myself to use AI! I find it creepy that my phone "listens" to conversations that I'm having with my husband. We'll be talking about something and then I see it as an add the next day! Creepy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erika, you're not alone in this case as these machines are designed to follow your every move and that's why there's a big but slow revolution coming up against these things

      Delete
  5. Oh I have been hearing so much about AI at work. I mean it's good but then people want to put it in every damn thing even if it might not be feasible!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nabanita,thanks for your views. As far as the pros are concerned,there is nothing that can beat these virtual machines but as you said when you want to put your whole life in ...that is not at all feasible

      Delete
  6. Siri bugs me never understands what Im saying and constantly gives me the wrong information lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I've had enough of complaints regarding siri !

      Delete
  7. 100000%! I don't let it take over my life but it seems to be consuming everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it is in some ways great, but in others perhaps a little too much.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's the creepy part. We don't know where AI will lead us in the future. Whatever it is. I hope it for our welfare.

    ReplyDelete
  10. AI is something that I keep a wary eye on. Siri never understands a word that comes out of my mouth so she is rarely used. I do love Alexa but don't use her for very much. She is still collecting data but I am not sure how useful that data is. Maybe she will use my love for the band "Chicago" against me someday? :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Makes you wonder. I dont have any of these devices for that reason.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think that AI is so creepy. I don't ever us it, which is weird from a millennial, but I don't even use Siri!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Interesting post! I rarely use Siri anymore which came with my iphone because it's creepy. And most of the time it's wrong information or silly responses anyway. I'd rather not have it at all.

    ReplyDelete
  14. it's funny because i rarely use siri. i'm just not used to it. i find it easier to just google or manually do something like set my alarm. either way it's all connected.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I watched some documentaries that state that it's not impossible for AI to take over because logically, AI would make a more reliable assistant as they are programmed to work more accurately (hence, no human error) and would not scream for a raise.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very few know about the AI in details. Thanks for sharing your knowledge with us :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is really enlightening. I always think of AI a robots taking over the world. Perhaps we are live by in the period neo-robotic domination. 😳

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've never really used any of these because I'm afraid I would tell it to do something when actually i was talking to someone else. That would be my luck anyways

    ReplyDelete
  19. It's really creepy and scary at the same time. Thanks for a good reminder that AI must be use with more prudent.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my gosh, the new Google Assistant is so life-like it's scary! I'm pretty excited about the future of AI but we will definitely have to do a lot of adjusting.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I will admit that it's pretty much in every industry, but I'm not a fan of gadgets like Alexa invading our home. It can be a bit invasive.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is not the only thing happening around...search the web and you'll find yourself trapped by AI and some people do agree to my point here

    ReplyDelete
  23. I never really thought of using Siri as AI so this is so interesting to learn and think about before I use Siri or Alexa again.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Omg this. I was just having a conversation with friends about how all these devices are starting to listen to you

    ReplyDelete
  25. Many people say that these AI could not understand anything you say especially Alexa

    ReplyDelete
  26. My son likes to play with Alexa. It's ridiculous that they have answers for his goofy questions (which means many others have asked them too).

    ReplyDelete
  27. The AI think is so interesting and it is always a debatable topic. Yes, we are creating adaptable, smart technology, but do I think it will take over? Not unless we give it the ability to eventually do so.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I look at AI with both awe and a hint of fear. On the one hand I love the idea of smart tech and at the same time the thought of having an Alexa freaks me out.

    ReplyDelete
  29. What an interesting post. Al is kinda of creepy to be honest, haha. But my daughters love playing with Siri, and its similar. Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. I have some of these devices but not all of them. I got worried when I read about Alexa sending someone's conversation to someone that it shouldn't have. I've just been leary since.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Technology is in our lives whether we want it or not. Knowing what it does and what it can do is important if we wish to use it properly. Definitely good things to consider.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I don't mind the development of anything that makes our lives easier.

    ReplyDelete
  33. AI is here but its not taking over. We are still not in the jetson era!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I remember when I was a kid, I would see an actor in a show or movie that I recognized. I would have to rack my brain to remember where I knew them from. It was always so exciting when I had that "ah ha!" moment. Now with imdb, I just look it up. It's less fun. You are so right that we don't have to rely on our own intelligence now if we don't want to.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I think so. I would just be scared though if those things in movies come true. Like in Wall-E hehe

    ReplyDelete